St James Baptist Church is considered to be the oldest African-American Baptist Church in Fauquier County. St James Church was organized by the founding pastor Leland Waring from Spotsylvania County, Virginia.
St. James Baptist Church was originally known as the Foxville Church after the nearby settlement of Foxville. A few streets in the area still reflect this heritage in their names. The congregation first met in a brush arbor in 1866, and as progress was made, a permanent building was erected for worship.
St James Baptist Church has been blessed with twelve pastors out of the one hundred and forty eight years of serving the community of Bealeton, Virginia. The current pastor is the Reverend Shep Bridgett, III of Woodbridge, Virginia who became pastor elect in 1983. Shortly after, Reverend Bridgett accepted his calling as pastor of St. James Baptist Church and has served as the pastor for over 30 years.
St James has progressed from worshiping one Sunday per month to every Sunday. To God be the glory!